Wednesday 6 June 2012

Easiest Most Delicious Kek Batik!


Kek batik is one of my favourite desserts ever. All this while I've been buying this cake not knowing that it is toooo..and I mean toooo easy to prepare! It's so easy you don't even need an oven...and to my surprise..this recipe uses so little ingredients..and the ingredients too are easy to find. I have tried other recipes that use eggs...but after trying many recipes..with and without eggs...I've decided to keep to just this recipe...unless another great recipe is found. But overall I think this recipe provides a perfect overall taste of sweet.. salty.. chocolatey.. crunchy.. chewy... GOODNESS! hahha. 

From my own experience..the egg based chocolate batter makes the biscuit go softer faster. As for this recipe..it keeps the biscuit crunchy for days! (if it even last a day or two...its really addictive..I have to warn you ..haha). My kids love it..adults love it...once you have had a slice, I'm sure you would want more. Oh yes, one more tip for you readers, I've done some research and I personally feel that the choice of biscuit used is truly important. I have used other brands but I always end up buying LEE brand Marie biscuits. It doesn't become soggy and the crunch factor is very important.

In preparing this kek batik, you could either dump all biscuits(broken into smaller pieces in advance) into the chocolate batter...or you could layer it one by one as I have done. But honestly, I prefer dumping everything and pressing it down..being the busy mom I am (excuses excuses...) or it could be the laziness in me. This has only been my first try at layering the biscuits, but I have made this kek batik many times before by dumping everything into the pot. This recipe does not call for any coffee but there are times when I feel the urge to eat something chocolatey...something with coffee...mocha as we call it...then I will put some coffee into the chocolate mixture. I think that you can even put it in roasted nuts if you like. I've even seen some people put in different types of biscuits and even malteasers! Yummm! Give it a try, you will love it I promise.


Kek Batik
Source: Hasue and Milla

Ingredients:
200g milo
250g butter (I used salted butter for the sweet salty taste..you could use the unsalted one if you like)
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 a can of condensed milk (or less)
1 packet of marie biscuits (use less or more..depends on how you like it..I usually use 3/4 of a 300g packet)
1-2 teaspoon instant coffee granules (optional)

Instructions: 
  1. Line a baking tin with high sides with parchment paper or you could use foil or cling wrap. I prefer to use parchment paper for a smooth finish on the sides and bottom of the cake. 
  2. Melt the block of butter in a pan over low heat. (I used a wok for easy stirring when I add the biscuits)
  3. Add in the milo, cocoa powder, coffee and stir really fast.
  4. Add in the condensed milk as you go along and stir till the mixture is smooth and no more lumps are visible. I used a whisk.
  5. At this stage you could either add all your broken pieces of biscuits into the milo mixture or you could layer the biscuits. If you are putting your broken biscuits into the milo mixture, make sure you mix well till all the biscuits are covered. I used two large wooden spoons. It makes it easier and faster.
  6. Place the mixed biscuits and milo mixture into the prepared pan. If you are planning to dump everything in to the prepared pan, get another piece of parchment paper and press everything down till you have and evenly square cake.
  7. Leave to cool and place in the fridge for 1 hour or better overnight. 
  8. Cut into slices and serve cold. You can keep the remainder of the cake in the fridge for up to a week but I doubt you would still have any left by the weeks end :). Yummy too with a glass of cold milk.



1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    Do you know if it's ok for me to omit the condensed milk? :)

    ReplyDelete