Tuesday 29 May 2012

Fried Noodles - Mums way is the winner!

Fried noodles with prawns

Ever since I could remember...my mum would cook fried noodles. She would put different main ingredients in them but the best one to me would be thinly sliced beef..ohhhhhhhhhh..I'm drooling already. Ok enough of that..haha. Anyway, I've followed through her footsteps and started cooking fried noodles for my kids ever since they were 4 years old (when I say this..I suddenly feel so old when in fact my eldest is only 5 years old!..haha). I have adjusted the level of heat from the blended chilli to my kids tolerable level :) By the way, I only use home blended chilli as I believe that the ones sold in shops use too much coloring and preservatives. I also usually blend my dried chilli that has been cut and boiled, with onions and garlic for more flavour. Try this out ok readers..its a sure winner in my home and I hope it will be a winner in yours too.

the ingredients
mee kuning that has been rinsed under running tap water
sweet soy sauce and tomato sauce


Fried Noodles Jamilah (my mum)
Source: Jamilah

Ingredients:
1 packet yellow egg noodles - mee kuning
5-6 prawns cleaned (more if you like)
carrots - julienned
2 medium tomatoes - diced
1 stalk spring onion or a few stalks chives
1 tablespoon or less of blended chilli
1/2 a small onion cut into wedges
1 large clove of garlic
1 teaspoon of ikan bilis stock
1 1/2 tablespoon of tomato sauce
3 tablespoon of sweet soy sauce
2 tablespoon oil for cooking
*i didnt add any salt or sugar as the noodles are already flavourful and I get the salty taste from the tomato and soy sauce as well as ikan bilis stock.

Instructions:

  1. Heat oil in a wok. Add in the blended chilli paste and onion and garlic. Fry till fragrant. (take a little bit of time so that the blended chilli is not too spicy)
  2. Add in the diced tomato. Fry till the tomatoes become mushy and soft. This stage takes time..but its very well worth the wait as it adds a lot of flavour.
  3. Add the prawns, carrots,  ikan bilis stock, tomato sauce and sweet soy sauce. Stir to mix well and leave to cook for 1 minute.
  4. Add in the rinsed noodles and spring onion. fry till the noodles are fully cooked and absorb some of the sauce. I prefer to fry the noodles at a higher heat. I have no idea why but it somehow tastes better :)
  5. Ready to serve! Serve hot with some freshly cut spring onion on top. Enjoy!

Fried Noodles with beef..my favourite version!

No comments:

Post a Comment