Wednesday 2 May 2012

The Best Red Velvet Cake Recipe

This red velvet cake (RVC) recipe I stumbled upon at 2 in the morning. It wasn't that I was unhappy with the previous recipe i have, but I decided I wanted to give a try to an oil based recipe. Supposedly..oil based recipes yield bouncy fluffy cakes or cupcakes. So at 2 in the morning I googled " best red velvet cake recipe"..and this is the recipe I was most intrigued to try...mostly because of the overwhelming positive comments! but the blog name too played a part in my selection..and the blog name is "divascancook.com"! Although I'm no diva...err...so I say...but you may not agree with me...hahhaha...but if a diva can cook and receive great comments..so can I...why not give it a whirl!


The Best Red Velvet Cake Recipe
Source: Divas Can Cook

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (I just put 1 cup milk and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice)
2 teaspoon of vanilla
1-2 oz red food coloring (I just squeezed some edible gel color in xmas red..until I get the right color)
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1/2 cup of prepared plain hot coffee (I put 1-2 teaspoon nescafe..no sugar to hot water...because that was all the coffee I have..haha)

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 325.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the sugar and vegetable oil.
  4. Mix in the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and red food colouring till combined.
  5. Stir in the coffee and white vinegar.
  6. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients a little at a time, mixing after each addition, just until combined.
  7. Generously grease and flour two round cake pans with butter and flour
  8. Pour the batter evenly into each pan.
  9. Bake in the middle rack for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.Do not overbake as cake will continue to cook as it cools.
  10. Let cool on rack until the pans are warm to the touch
  11. Slide a knife or offset spatula around the inside of the pans to loosen the cake from the pan.
  12. Remove the cakes from the pan and let them cool.
  13. Frost the cake with cream cheese frosting when the cakes have cooled completely.
  14. Or you can do as I did...scoop the mixture and fill in the cupcake cases 3/4 full and bake for 20 mins or less depending on the size of your cases. Check 2-3 mins ahead of the 20 mins. If bouncy to the touch then remove the cupcakes from the oven. Take out immediately from the cupcake pans and place on rack too cool completely. When cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting.



As you can see, the colour is a lovely red. And I must add that the coffee makes the difference! DO NOT leave it out ok. This cupcake/ cake can be kept in the fridge for a few days and will still come out springy and soft! So do give it a try because this recipe is a sure keeper...well at least to me :)


No comments:

Post a Comment