Friday 11 May 2012

Delicious Tuna Mayo Buns/Roll

Tuna Mayo buns

Tuna and mayo is one of my favourite combinations. Add a little bit of diced onion, a pinch of salt and sugar, lime or lemon juice..diced tomatoes..yummm! Spread on toast and I'm in heaven! When made into a bun or roll it's even better! Melted cheese on top...and swirl extra mayo...ok ok..enough said. It's a favourite recipe which I stumbled upon in Che Mat's Blog..Dapur Tanpa Sempadan. I fell in love with his blog ever since I stumbled upon it and I've never looked back. Visiting his blog is part of my daily ordeal. A MUST. Just look at his food presentations, the fool proof recipes, the gorgeous bowls and plates..and not forgetting his beloved TEAPOTS! Ye tak Che Mat???hehe..

Anyway, his blog is very informative, and the link above actually shows a step by step to make these lovely buns. I did make some changes to the recipe, but I stay true to the bun recipe as its very crucial to get light airy cottony soft buns. I make these buns a few times a month, and even sell some upon order. So far only praises for these buns by my friends who have tasted them. 

So far, I've tried various canned tuna's...some in water, some in oil, some in chunks and some shredded or flaked. I would suggest you get the ones that are not already in mayonnaise as I prefer to add just enough mayonnaise of my choice to the tuna flakes. We all have our favourite mayonnaise right? Besides that, I prefer to use tuna flakes so as not to get bits that are too chunky when I roll the buns..and it makes it easier to spread too. Ok, now for the recipe...and readers...this recipe is a keeper. Even better than the ones sold in bakeries....well to me at least :)

Tuna Cheese Roll / or as I call it..Tuna Mayo buns
Source: Mat Gebu

Ingredients:
250g bread flour (high protein flour)
50g castor sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
10g powdered milk 
1/4 teaspoon bread improver
1/4 teaspoon bread softener
30g egg (crack 1 egg, stir a bit and weigh the correct amount needed - the remainder can be used as an egg wash for the tops of the buns before baking)
6g instant yeast
20g butter
125ml warm water (if you are going to use a breadmaker, just use normal filtered tap water)

Ingredients for the tuna mayo:
1 tablespoon butter melted
1 tin tuna, discard all liquid and fork through the big pieces
2 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 onion diced (I used 1/2)
1 spring onion / chives ( I used fresh minced parsley, dried versions too are ok)..save some for the topping
1 limau kasturi ( I used lime juice or lemon juice - just enough to the taste)
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
salt and sugar ( I added a little bit of sugar to give it an all round flavour) 
Just enough shredded cheddar cheese
* I added 1 medium tomato diced and sometimes I add finely chopped red chilli pepper

Instructions:
For the Dough: Put the yeast into the warm water and leave aside till it bubbles. Put all the other ingredients together except the butter. Add the yeast mixture and mix evenly till it forms a dough. Add the butter and knead the dough till elastic and firm (just around 20 mins). Make sure the dough is gathered around the side into a round ball, and place in a bowl and wrap with plastic cling wrap. Leave for 45 mins until risen.
Other Methods: (MY ONLY METHOD I FOLLOW) only because I'm lazy..haha
Combine all ingredients above in a breadmaker, choose the setting "dough" and press the "on" button. Wait till finished (my panasonic breadmaker sets the time for dough around 2 hours 20 mins).. follow your own breadmaker setting for dough.

Tuna Roll Instructions:Combine all the ingredients for the tuna filling except for the melted butter. Stir to combine and set aside. Take out the proofed dough, punch down the dough to remove the air, dust some flour on the bottom and top of the dough and roll flat till you get a square shaped flat dough. Brush melted butter all the square shaped rolled out dough. Spread the tuna filling evenly..but leave some space at the ends of the dough. Roll the dough as you would a swissroll and pull it tightly. Cut into 10 pieces. placed the cut rolls into paper cups that are of 4 inch diameters...enough space for the dough to rise further. Leave to rise for another 45 mins. When it has fully risen, brush the remaining egg wash on the tops, sprinkle the extra chopped parsley and shredded cheese and black pepper. Bake in the a preheated oven of 190C for 25 minutes. (from my experience, it took only 14 mins for me until the tops are a lovely rich golden brown). If you are not too sure about the timing, best best to take out the buns are when the tops are golden brown. Place on cooling racks after removing from the oven

 
Tuna Mayo buns in cupcake cases fresh from the oven

Tuna mayo buns in bun cases..more room to rise


I decorated mine with a squeeze of chilli sauce and extra mayo..sooo good!

1 comment:

  1. I am also a great follower of Dapur Tanpa Sempadan. Yes, this is also one of my family's favourite bun ;))

    ReplyDelete